ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Sunday, April 06, 2008

VW Westfalia at Home...All is now good


I have had the most amazing weekend playing around with my "new" 1970 VW Westfalia, previously blogged about here. When if first arrived from the long journey from Virginia to Idaho, it was a complete mess, as you can see from the pictures here, or below.



Well, after it first arrived, it required a tow to get off the trailer. Apparently, the seller didn't leave ANY gas in the tank, and the fuel lines froze solid. The seller advertised the bus as perfect, with no issues whatsoever, which was not the case, but I won't dwell on that. This is the first car I have ever bought without seeing it, and all things considered, it worked out very well.

Everyone who sees the bus, feel compelled to honk and pull me over and tell me about their memories involving similar VW's. This bus was made when I was only 6 years old, so it brings back memories for me too.

Immediately upon arrival, after getting it off the trailer and putting gas into it, I decided to take my 3 dogs for ride about 3500 climb over Galena pass. Much to my surprise it made it up fine, but had some difficulties coming down, due to rust and other debris in the gas tank. I am very fortunate it made it.

The bus then spent the next day getting fully detailed (although typically I enjoy doing this myself), and the following day in the shop getting "fixed". Which left this weekend as my first time to really put it to the test and enjoy it.

Well, in one day, I visited most of my friends here in Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho, and got many thumbs up. My dogs absolutely love it, as you can see from the pictures.

Last night, Laura (my wife) indulged me and we "took out" dinner (Sushi) in the Bus, with our dogs (yes we are pretty dog crazy as you can tell) and sat in a freezing bus and ate and planned our camping experiences for the fast approaching summer.

I could go on and on, but will spare you from all the details, but I now understand why VW Westfalia's have such a following.

Next week is a crazy busy week for us, and I will try to not allow any growing pains come through in my daily posts. We are trying to outsource our fulfillment, so we can continue to grow. We have already outgrown our new warehouse. It is a very time consuming and important process.

Also, we are down to crunch time on outlining all the videos we will be shooting in a couple weeks in Chicago. I can't wait for everyone to see the new website, as I am convinced it will be one of the very best websites on the internet, or at least that is the plan.

I will post more soon. I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Scott

No comments: