ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Saturday, April 05, 2008

Should I watch Battlestar Galactica?

I had the best day, all relating to my first full day with my "new" 1970 VW Westfalia Bus, all worth repeating with pictures. See prior post about this here-long story but it has been in the shop since that post. All day I kept doing more really fun things (and getting tons of smiles and stories about memories) and couldn't wait to post but I am sooo beat, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

So, I thought I would seek out your opinion on something that just came up. As Laura (my wife and business partner) and I were surfing the 3000 DirectTV channels in an attempt to find something worth watching, with no luck. She stumbled upon Battlestar Galactica, and told me that we have LOTS of customers that are fans of this show. Why they feel compelled to tell Laura in both emails and calls speaks volumes either about the quality of the show, or the personality of the fans, or more likely some combination of both.

I must admit that I am a huge closet fan of Star Trek. I grew up watching that show, and reruns for years. I was not a "Trekkie" as you would define it but I did enjoy the moral dilemmas presented by the show, and found the acting laughable and women VERY attractive. I dabbled into the next series (I think called the Next Generation, but I honestly forgot), and also really liked that show, but was distracted by other things, like college at OSU. (Go Buckeyes)

So, here's my dilemma:

  • TV for the most part sucks, with some notable exceptions (namely most HBO shows and LOST)
  • Summer is fast approaching and I don't want to get hooked on another good TV show and miss doing stuff outdoors in Sun Valley, Idaho
  • This is the last season of Battlestar, and if I don't try it now, I am unlikely to ever watch it, and if it is good, then I should
  • I could go on but you get the point...
  • What would you do?
  • Your opinions on the quality of the show, and/or the fans would be very interesting and helpful in my very difficult decision process.
So, there you have it. Should I watch Battlestar Galactica?

FYI: i just googled scottevest and battlestar galactica and got 414 matches, so there must be something to this connection.

Scott Jordan, dazed and really confused....
Founder and CEO
www.scottevest.com

PS: Admittedly a completely off topic post.

7 comments:

Pat Galea said...

Absolutely you should watch BSG!

If you like HBO shows and Lost, then I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy BSG.

It's a great series. The idea behind it was always a good one, even in the 1970s version. But the new one just blows it away.

The characters never fall into easy stereotypes. You can make an assumption at the beginning about how you think the roles will play out, and those assumptions will be broken... and yet the reasons for the way the characters are behaving will make sense.

If you enjoy complex relationships, crooked politics and military action, I think you'll like it.

Randy Pollock said...

Don't watch the last season if you haven't watched all the previous ones...My advice would be catchup using netflix and by then you will be able to watch the last season either in reruns or on DVD.

Since you watch lost..could you imagine someone just watching the last season and getting the full experience?

Pat Galea said...

I should add that if you do want to watch it, you should almost certainly start from the beginning. There is a clear story arc running throughout the series, and I think if you started at season 4 you would (a) be very confused, and (b) miss out on a lot of what's going on.

It's not like Star Trek, which was more like a collection of short stories that you could (more or less) take in any order. BSG is one big epic novel.

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

Thanks for the advice. I think it makes sense to watch from the beginning but then I suppose I can put this off for ...whenever, which means I am unlikely ever to start.

Pat Galea said...

Maybe you should just try the initial miniseries, which you can watch in three hours. It stands on its own as a story, and gives a good taster so you can see whether you want to watch the rest of it.

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

That's a great idea. How long has the series been running?

Pat Galea said...

The miniseries was broadcast in 2003.

Seasons 1,2 and 3 followed. Season 4 has just started in the US.