ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Saturday, April 26, 2008

SCOTTEVEST/SeV Weekend Blog Post, preview of Tactical and other pictures from Chicago



I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Sorry about the no post yesterday. I am still recovering from the Chicago trip to shoot the new videos and new products. I have included some unretouched and uncropped pictures of me from the still photography. You can see the whole album here. I will post some pictures of the models soon, but to be honest, other than the woman, I don't think the male models looked all that great, so we need to retouch them a bit (to remove heads/faces). They just look way too skinny, as I will show you. I don't look much better, so please be gentle with your comments. You can see some pictures of the new Tactical 5.0 Ski Jacket, along with one picture of the Fleece 5.0 jacket. (I suppose those names might be fine). I really hope everyone likes these as much as I do, as well as the crew at the photoshoot.

The shoot was really exhausting but I believe the website will be much better as a result. We will be focusing on videos to show the product more, together with some interactive headless views that will show the features much better than we are doing now.

The expected launch date for new site is May 15th. I can't wait.

I had an AWESOME day today. It feels like Spring here, finally! It has been SO cold until now. I went on a long hike nearby. We had to turn back when we spotted (or should I say we were spotted by) a pack of wild coyotes, barking at us and our dogs. We weren't sure if they would harm us, so we turned back. We didn't have any leashes for our dogs and were concerned that they would try to chase the coyotes, so we used my belt and tied my jackets to them. All was well, and I learned that they were probably more scared of us than we of them.

I then went for a fairly long motorcycle ride. I bought a Suzuki Intruder 1500 (used) last year, and am just learning how to ride. It is an absolute blast. I am very careful. If I had one of these when I was younger, I would have been dead by now for sure. I hope I am mature enough now to respect their power and danger.

I rode with the new Tactical and Fleece and was warm as I could be, even though it is in the 40's here and wind in my face. I was very impressed that I didn't get cold at all. We sealed most of the seams in this jacket since it is intended as a ski jacket, and it worked quite well.

I bought a real motorcycle jacket on my way home though, since it has proper armor on the shoulders, and elbows, etc. It made me feel safer but was not warmer, and the pocket design SUCKS royally. I am amazed how many nice jackets still have the stupidest pocket designs, but glad nonetheless. I have been prompted to make a motorcycle version of our jackets in the past and may do so soon. It would not be that hard to do.

Well, I am off for today. I will try to post some images of the other models tomorrow, and start to solicit ideas for the names soon.

Please be gentle in terms of the pictures, but constructive criticism is always welcome.

Have a great weekend.

Scott

8 comments:

Pat Galea said...

LOL, this gets me every time when I talk to Americans.

"even though it is in the 40's here and wind in my face. I was very impressed that I didn't get cold at all."

My first reaction is "Why would you be cold? 40s is really hot!". Then my brain catches up a second or two later. :-)

First time I went to Chicago, I saw a weather forecast while I was travelling that said the temp was going to be in the low 20s. I thought "Great, T-Shirt weather!" Boy, did I get a shock when I got off the plane!

The model in the pictures you've uploaded looks really nice. I can't think of any jacket that wouldn't look good on her.

A motorcycle jacket would be a great idea. I don't ride, but I still like tough jackets. In fact, just a tough version of the existing range would be great.

One of the other things about the fabric used in the Essential and the Evolution is that it is a little 'noisy'. In the street, it's not noticeable, but in a quiet environment as I move around - even a little bit - all I can hear is "woosh woosh woosh". The hoodie doesn't have this problem, and neither does a decent leather jacket.

(Oh, and the one other thing is the velcro cuff adjusters. I can see the advantages, but the noisiness just gets to me. I generally just find a size setting that is loose enough for me to take the jacket off, but tight enough to hold the sleeve on the wrist end of my hand, so I don't have to adjust it again. Not as neat as the elasticated inner cuff on the Essential, though.)

Anonymous said...

Scott,

As an avid motorcycle rider and longtime user of your vest I would purchase a motorcycle jacket immediately. I use my vest under my regular leathers but it makes things a bit tight and sometimes to warm with the extra layers. If you decide to move toward a new product aimed at the everyday motorcycle rider I would be more than willing to test them out for you.

Mike, Medford, OR

Anonymous said...

My favorite motorcycle jacket is nicely built, but the pocket placement is basically useless. Scott and I have discussed this on a couple occasions, and with all of the Kevlar weaves coming out on the market, I think we could develop something that would change the industry standard. Protection + gear management + *weight* management (which is overlooked by most manufacturers) = a great looking, functional jacket.

Hey Scott - maybe this should be a bike tour instead of a bus tour?

Unknown said...

I'll go for it, because the Tactical 4.0 didn't do so well when I went down. All torn up, became a reminder for me. So I wear my Leather Jacket. Its not great for the weather we have in the California Valley, but at least I'll be better protected if I go down again. The Tactical 4.0 was great for breathability, if you made one with armor, and kevlar weave or other materials to prevent against extreme rippage on a downer, that'd be great. If you guys did, I'd be split between either the SeV jacket or the FirstGear torrent I'm looking at ^.^

Unknown said...

Just found and purchased your product!

Any further thoughts on a motorcycle jacket?

Jorge said...

Hi Jeff,

I made a video on TokBox that can give you the answers your looking for:

http://www.tokbox.com/vm/0jq12gkhnn58

Unknown said...

Thanks Jorge! I look forward to it!

Jorge said...

Anytime Jeff :)