ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Question is: not whether to Blog, but where to Blog...? Your help is requested...

Well, after just a couple of weeks of regular postings, I am pleasantly surprised that people (apparently lots of people) are really reading this. We have gone from a Google Rank of 0 to 4 (out of 10) in just a month or so, which for those of you who know Google rankings, is really good. Also we have hundreds of RSS feed subscribers. Now having started the SeV blog using Blogger, I am faced with a pretty big dilemma.

I am not very happy with the Blogger software I am using. I think it is not very user friendly, and hard to categorize, but having started the blog here, I want to be careful before just moving it elsewhere, and potentially losing all these posts and/or inconveniencing everyone who has already subscribed.

I am considering moving the Blog to our community sections here. This was created using Vbulletin a very long time ago, and I have neglected to add much new content, other than the In the News Sections which have been kept pretty current with the hundred of articles that have been written about us.

I think Vbulletin is VERY robust, but not sure if it is the best solution for the Blog. It seems like it is Blog PLUS, which is great, assuming people really are interested and participate.

I have always envisioned this area as a place where we could easily communicate with our customers and allow our customers to converse among each other. I think we may have been a bit ahead of our time on this, but now time has caught up with all the community buzz and Web 2.0 stuff, and we have thus lagged in this process.

So, if you have an opinion, please share it here on Blogger, or here on Vbulletin. I will be posting the same post in 2 places until I decide where is best.

Thanks for every one's interest and for reading and making this a successful blog.

Scott

10 comments:

bogorad said...

I'm pretty sure nothing beats Google (blogger) in stability. I'm all for blogger.

Randy Pollock said...

IMAO,

You have two choices.

Wordpress, which works well for a lot of heavy bloggers

or

EllisLabs' ExpressionEngine
www.expressionengine.com

I use ExpressionEngine and love it, I have been using it since 2005 their support is absolutely the best.

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

Thanks for the comments. I agree Google's alternative is not likely to "go down" or have serious stability issues, but then again the functionality and options are horrible. I heard Wordpress is good. Does anyone have an opinion on why not to use Vbilletin? I know it was not intended for use as a blog per se, but what is the difference between a thread called blog among other useful threads, vs a dedicated blog page only? seems similar only more options with vbulliten.

Scott

Randy Pollock said...

Good article on the difference

http://www.nevon.net/nevon/2004/10/blog_vs_forum_w.html

In my simple thinking a blog is less structure and easy to read.

A forum is where I go for answers or ask questions.

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

Yea but why can't you have a blog within a community that offers forums and places to post pictures, ask questions, compare notes, etc. A blog seems so limiting. For example, I often find myself trying to decide what direction to take my daily posts; should i talk about the business, my day, how i used my SeV, sales/promotions, etc. You get the point. Whereas if I had a community that includes a blog for the headlines if you will, i could cover all bases, assuming there is enough interest to justify that much information. BTW, what sucks about blogger is evidenced by your post: the link you put in is not live. You should not have to hard code html to provide comments.

Just my beef.

BTW: It is getting warm here, finally. Took my motorcyle for a ride today. I am a new rider, and it is sooo much fun, and using an SeV is great on a bike since you need a place to store stuff.

Sorry about the lengthy email, without structure, and poor spelling. I guess this is what blogging is... :) Good night.

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

that link was really good; i think i found my answer generally therein, and pasted below. Still not sure why i can do using vbullitin but just label one of the threads my Blog and tie to rss

Comments

I wouldn't disagree with much of what you have written as a technical description of the difference between Blogs and forums.

However I believe that the key difference are connected to social participation. Essentially, forums/online communities require a degree of agreement between participants around their purpose if they are to be successful. Blogs on the other had are generally an individuals expression of views although there are of course exceptions. So a Blog can be likened to someone standing on a soap box spouting about what ever they chose to with the occasional person stopping to listen and perhaps make a comment. Forums on the other hand are more akin to individuals choosing to attend a meeting with an advertised purpose or agenda. This I believe is the key difference and the technical explanations that you give are only part of the story, but thanks for the explanation as it is helpful.

Posted by: Stephen Powell | 26 October 2004 at 07:36

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

what do you think about blogging via video posts embedded using YouTube, on blogger.

Randy Pollock said...

Video posts are just another means to express yourself on your blog. It is becoming a popular way to do it as nice video cameras are dropping in price (I use a Canon HV-20 shooting in 1080i at 24fps). There is also the new Canon HF-10.

If you do go that route, I would look into other video services besides youtube as the quality of video is so low. Try www.blip.tv or some service that is useing Flash 9.

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

I am going to try to do a video post today; i was just going to use YouTube to serve it since I thought that was easiest. Let me know your thoughts. The topic will be "convergence of devices, and my favorite all purpose device".

Scott Jordan, CEO of SCOTTEVEST/SeV said...

check out today's video post here: http://scottevest.blogspot.com/2008/04/my-favorite-all-purpose-device-ismy.html

let me know if you like it :-)

I hope everyone has a great weekend. This is the final weekend (for me at least) of skiing as the mountain closes next weekend.