ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Monday, September 27, 2010

Eolake Stobblehouse thoughts: Got my Scottevest (updated)

Got my Scottevest today. 
I have only started exploring the myriad of pockets, but it's clear that a lot of thought have gone into this. One small example: the right hand pocket (huge like the left) has a smaller inner change pocket, and an elastic band for holding a water bottle upright.
Also the vest is light-weight and surprisingly comfortable. 

A correspondent, an internationally beloved tech columnist, was concerned that the vest might droop unless you carefully balanced the weight in the pockets. Happily, it does not, not even with just an iPad in a pocket (I had that when taking the pictures). Oh, and that pocket is so big (in my size anyway), that the iPad can go into it sideways. It can also hold a full magazine without folding it or it sticking up over the pocket. Very unusual. 


(I had to include a pic which showed my self-designed tee-shirt. Egoic, sure, but heck, it's my blog.       :-)

There's not much padding, so one might want to have the iPad in a rubber sleeve or something, which is a good thing generally, makes it better for holding.

More features: 

  • Two pockets with transparent fabric, through which you can operate a touch-screen. 
  • A pocket for glasses, which include a cleaning cloth in a clip on a string! 
  • A digicam pocket with a tiny pocket for memory cards. 
  • A system for threading a pair of earphones from a player or phone up to the collar. 
All in all there are around thirteen pockets if you count the pockets-in-pockets.
The big left hand pocket has a sort of sub-pocket partially segregated with a zipper, so small items don't rattle around.
Oh, when it arrives, all pockets each have a little card which gives examples of their possible use. It's ridic, gotta love it.

I am 193cm (6"4) with a long torso, and around 90 kilos (110 last year). I bought a size XXXL. When I opened the parcel, I thought "my gawd, this is HUGE! maybe I have to return it". And indeed I think I could wear a XXL. (Their size calculator indicated either.) But I like clothing loose, and I think it also makes it less warm, so I don't have to take it off any time I go indoors, is my hope anyway.

Here's more "ridic": both hand pockets go wellup inside, a tall space. This means, amazingly, that I can fit my Apple Wireless keyboard in one of them! And since it's only a couple hundred grams, I barely feel the weight either. I had not expected this.

Update: I gave the vest its inaugural journey today, in a little trip around town. It is indeed useful. Not the least the iPod pockets and the earphone channel. I don't need to take the iPod out to operate it, and I no longer need to have attention on the earphone leads so they don't catch on anything, either when I use them or not. 
And I bought a Dilbert 2011 calendar. Normally this would have meant need for a bag, but not while wearing this sucker.
Even if it had been a large book, I just found another pocket, a really large one taking up most of the back of the vest. I think you could put a spaniel in there.

Sent from my iPhone

 

No comments: