ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Monday, May 03, 2010

Another Great Review of our Products from Famous Photographer http://robertholmesphotography.com/blog/?p=81

I got back from Burma two months ago and I still haven’t had time to unpack.  Usually, as soon as I get back from a big trip I look at my baggage to see what I can eliminate next time.  I’ve always travelled light.  In the prehistoric days of film I would carry four cameras, a handful of lenses, a few accessories – and a bag full of film.  Digital photography did away with the problems of carrying film but replaced it with a whole new headache.  Now I travel with only two cameras, that together cost more than quadruple the price of the four film cameras, and a Canon G10 point and shoot – just in case.  I carry the same assortment of lenses but I also need a laptop, portable hard drives, card readers, a mess of cables and more.  I need two of everything just in case a vital link in the chain breaks.

I flew from Bangkok to Yangon on Air Asia, a budget airline that charges for baggage by the pound, restricts hand baggage to 15 pounds and charges for water!  I had no intention of paying a penny more than absolutely necessary.  I paired down my checked baggage to the minimum but how could I avoid the hand baggage problem?  The ground crew are particularly vigilant and can spot a 16 pound bag with uncanny accuracy.  My basic hand baggage weighs in at over 35 lbs. and there’s nothing I can eliminate. The answer came with a remarkable piece of clothing designed by Scott Jordan and recommended to me by Amy Tan.  The ScotteVestwww.scottevest.com is perhaps the best travel vest I have ever found.

The vest is deigned to carry a phenomenal amount of gear and still look sleek.  I’ve helped design a number of photographers vests from early Banana Republic prototypes to the Questvest but they always looked like … a photographers vest.   The Scottevest looks like a regular jacket, smart enough for respectable restaurants and if the temperature rises, the sleeves zip off.  Mine weighed in at over 30 lbs. and I had no problems with Air Asia.  This is one item I will never leave at home.

As far as photo gear is concerned, I always carry a tripod and use it far less often than I probably should but when you need it, you need it.  This goes into my checked bag.  If it goes missing I can survive.  The same applies to all my back-up gear; all the cables, card readers, batteries and chargers.  I also pack a 300mm lens that I can live without if necessary – I’m a wide angle kind of guy.

In my carry-on, or Scottevest, I carry both cameras, wide and medium-long lenses, an on-camera flash, a bunch of CF cards, card reader, laptop and two 320GB portable LaCie hard drives.  I also carry battery charges for my laptop and cameras.  I’m a firm believer in packing lists and check everything off as I pack.  One forgotten cable could be a disaster.

Scott

Scott Jordan, CEO
Sev/Scottevest
Follow me onTwitter, friend me on Facebook & become a fan of SeV.

Posted via email from SeV / SCOTTEVEST the best travel clothes and clothing in the world

No comments: