ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Tuesday, March 11, 2008

New Book Quotes Scott Jordan, getting great reviews

http://www.truebluetitan.com/books/recommended-reading-bounce

Click this link to read a review of a book by my friend Barry Moltz, that focused on my quote within a much longer book.

Barry Moltz is an entrepreneur at his core. Over the past 15 years he has founded several businesses, and while he has tasted success, he has also become quite familiar with failure as well. In Bounce!, Barry embraces this and talks about how he was able to let go of his past successes and failures and recognizing it for what it is: a part of the business cycle.

We have all experienced failure. The day after I finished Bounce! I received an email from the HR department of a company that I had interviewed with. They decided to choose another candidate over me. I really wanted this job; it seemed like a perfect fit for my skill set, and everyone I met with seemed to be very pleased with my professional background. I felt as if I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, and then it went dark.

I was crushed. My friends and family constantly ask me how my job search is going, and I now had to tell them the job that I could have sworn I was going to get was gone. This was the first time in 8 years that I had interviewed for a position and not been offered the job. Without thinking, as soon as I read the email, I said aloud, “You failed”.

“Without some failures, you cannot have success. Every successful venture involves failures. Given that, I prefer not to use the term failure. It is an ugly and definitive word and it implies an ending point. Rather, I use the term disappointment; it is not scary or definitive.”

After slothfully laying around my apartment for a day, I decided that I needed to bounce! So I picked up Barry’s book and flipped through the 50 or so pages that I dog-eared for inspiration. On page 87, I found what I needed. Here, Barry quotes Scott Jordan, the founder of Scottevest who said, “Without some failures, you cannot have success. Every successful venture involves failures. Given that, I prefer not to use the term failure. It is an ugly and definitive word and it implies an ending point. Rather, I use the term disappointment; it is not scary or definitive.”

After reading this, I sat back in my office chair, stared out of the window, and smiled. I was alive, I still had the strong backing of my peers and there was work to do! Sure, not getting the job was a disappointment, but that was all it was. It didn’t mean that I was unemployable. In fact, I now had more time to work on the projects that I have spent the last 3 months developing. I actually felt more motivated than ever. This was my low point. I am resilient and I can bounce!

Confidence & Passion

I could not have picked a better time to read this book. Because of Bounce! I was able to quickly place myself in the right mindset, and maintain the confidence and passion that I need to succeed. I am passionate about my ideas and need to make an impact, it will become a reality.

I Recommend This Book

Bounce!is an easy read. I read it from cover to cover in a day, and while it did not take me a long time to read, I was quite surprised as to how quickly it changed my outlook on business. Bounce! is a book that contains information that you will use in your life. Buy it, read it, and pass it along. Everyone needs to learn how to Bounce!

No comments: