ATTENTION SCOTTEVEST Travel Clothing Blog Readers

Scott's Offical blog has permanently moved: Scott's Community
Update your browser's bookmark to http://community.scottevest.com/blog



Saturday, August 21, 2010

Six weeks around the world, with no bags: Could you do it? – USATODAY.com


Six weeks around the world, with no bags: Could you do it?

Comments  
10

By Laura Bly, USA TODAY

With more than 50 passport stamps to his name, peripatetic authorRolf Potts has always prided himself on traveling light. But when he departs from New York Saturday for a trip around the world, he'll be taking that philosophy to the extreme: 12 countries in 42 days, without so much as a fanny pack.

By Fritz Liedtke
As a fellow RTW veteran (I carried on a wheeled backpack for my 8-day, eight-country whirlwind a few years ago), I share Pott's passion for unfettered travel - and look forward to learning how he'll pull off this circumnavigation with little more than a toothbrush and iPod in his multiple pockets. (One of Potts' sponsors is Scottevest, a clothing company with a cult following among many carry-on addicts, including yours truly.)

Here, Potts shares some parting thoughts on everything from boxers vs. briefs to what he'll miss most on his minimalist journey:

Q: You write that you view this trip as a "field test for a more philosophical idea - that what we experience in life is more important than what we bring with us." But what's one thing (other than an American Express card?) you can't leave home without, bags or no bags? And what will you regret setting aside?

A: I'm a voracious reader, which means I can't travel without at least a little bit of reading material. Fortunately, thanks to the Kindle app on my iPod, I have a couple dozen books to choose from, including works by Ben Hecht, Marcus Aurelius, Jane Austen, Dickens, Dostoyevksi, and Shakespeare. (Yes, I've downloaded a lot of free stuff from the public domain!)

As a lifelong runner, I'll probably miss my running shoes. I realize I could have worn running shoes instead of boots on this journey, but when you figure in the toll running would take on my (rather limited) wardrobe, I think I'll just skip that form of exercise for the next six weeks. I can wear boots in more formal situations (certain restaurants, for example) that would probably frown on running shoes.

Q: How does paring down to essentials take you out of your comfort zone as a traveler?

A: It means I have nothing to fall back on, nothing to pack "just in case." But in many ways that's a good thing, since I can pack only true essentials. It also means I have to depend on others or seek out new experiences in a pinch. I have go to the barber for a shave in Morocco, for example, or visit a thrift store for a coat if the weather gets cold in New Zealand.

Q: Let's talk about the personal hygiene/stink factor. Any strategies for not grossing out your seatmates?

A: I'll be hand-washing my undershirt, socks, and underwear every day (letting it dry overnight). If for some reason my undershirts become irreversibly rancid after several weeks on the road, I'll just buy new ones. I'll also be carrying a small deodorant, and showering twice a day whenever possible.

Q: Boxers or briefs - and how many?

A: Briefs -- one to wear, and two in the pockets. I'll wash a pair each night.

Q: Obviously, you won't be spending money on souvenirs. But you do have an unspecified budget for buying items as needed along the way. Isn't that cheating?

A: Well, I could technically buy souvenirs and mail them home. And I will buy items from time to time along the way, but I don't consider that cheating because the purpose isn't to wed myself to set list of packing items, but simply to avoid bags. Packing less gear and more money is a time-honored strategy for independent travel, and I'm making no exception here. I actually considered mailing items to myself along the way, but that felt like it would take the fun out of the challenge. A full explanation of the "rules" for my challenge are available on the No Baggage Challengewebsite.

Q: You've advised other travelers to cut loose from the "electronic umbilical cord" of Twitter, Facebook and the like, but you'll be chronicling this trip in real time. Any worries about being too dependent on electronic baggage?

A: Hopefully I can strike a balance. Up until this trip I've never sent a Tweet or updated my Facebook status from the road -- but both will help promote the ideas I'm trying to examine (minimalism, seeking experiences over possessions) on this trip. This trip is a public as opposed to private undertaking, and that means the electronic umbilical cord will play a larger role in my travels than it usually does.

Posted Aug 20 2010 12:01AM

Sent from my iPhone
 
SeV/SCOTTEVEST, the best and most innovative travel clothing on the planet: For the Trip of Your Life! 

No comments: